Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Letter from Yamileisy


Yesterday I recieved my 12th letter from Yamileisy. I love getting her letters. I recently sent an extra donation for the family to buy whatever they wanted, NOT needed. So they got this TV. She is thrilled. I hope they get plenty of enjoyment out of it! She's wearing her locket in the picture too! The little bear on the wall is what I brought her some gifts in. Its attached to a zippered heartshaped pouch. She says, " I tell everybody about you and my brother talks about you too."
In the beginning her mother wrote her letters when she was five. It was so nice when she started writing them herself. Then she started writing in cursive. I have been able to see the difference that her schooling is making. Not all children have the privilege of going to school. Only 58% of children make it past the 5th grade in the DR. I hope Yamileisy surpasses that statistic. I will always encourage her to study hard and never give up.
I should be getting my first letter from Jose Manuel soon. I sent him a letter with pictures and some stickers already. They are so grateful for anything they get. I think it will be easier for him because he already met me and has seen the face behind the letters. Their brother, Victor Manuel, is already sponsored. I wish I could collaborate with that sponsor. He is also 9 years old. I've never asked if he and Yamileisy were twins or not. That's on today's agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment