Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My daughter, Jen

I know this blog is about my sponsored children but let me tell you about my daughter, Jen. When she was a little girl of 11 in 1995 she saw the Children International commercial on TV. It touched her heart and she wanted to sponsor a child. I know there are many organizations out there so I did some research and have never regretted our decision to sponsor through them. She was given Garis who was 3 years old at the time. She used her allowance and babysitting money to pay what started out as $11 a month. During those years I helped her with the birthday, Easter, Christmas and Special Hug gifts as she couldn't do it all. She kept every letter and photo all these years. At age 14 Garis no longer needed her help so CI gave her Waidy also from the DR. What a great choice that was!
Jen always dreamed of going to the DR to visit. Well, Jen graduated from college and her gift from us was a trip to the DR to visit Waidy. CI also set it up to visit with Garis too! (after being gone from the program for several years) So off we went, Jen and her boyfriend Sal, Glenn and I, on a 2 week cruise through the Panama Canal with 5 1/2 extra suitcases with gifts for our sponsored families and the children of the villages. (When you cruise you can take as much luggage as you want!LOLOLOLOL) This particular cruise was repositioning to the port in Santo Domingo, DR. That's why I chose it. My child lives there and Jen's in Santiago. After a great cruise and visiting several different countries we stayed on in the DR for 4 days.
What I thought I was doing was giving our daughter her dream come true. BUT in reality I gave myself the most amazing experience that I will never forget! The feeling in your heart when you see your child for the first time is undescribable. And when I left I wanted to take her with me. I plan on going again someday soon. This time I have to fly so I won't be able to take as many gifts but I will do my best as there are so many children that appreciate what little thing you give them. Its a great feeling. I'll just pack less clothing. You don't need much in the DR in January as its very hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment